How many times have you transited through Singapore’s Changi airport? If you have ever travelled through the Asian region then I am guessing you would have transited through this air travel hub at least once. But have you explored this dynamic and future focused Asian capitol?
I have been to Changi airport lots of times. Most times I am only spending an hour or two there. In 2011 I spent a considerable amount of time there, but was unable to leave the airport due to an almost expired passport. So this time, when I knew we had several hours, I was determined to see the city of Singapore.
Did you know you can visit Singapore for free?
There is an absolutely brilliant initiative run by Changi airport. It’s a free two hour city tour that runs several times throughout the day.
First things first, what are the requirements.
- You need to have at least 5 hours in transit at Changi airport. This is to ensure that the tour can get you back in plenty of time for your next flight.
- You need to be able to legally enter Singapore. You will still be going through immigration.
- You need to register at least one hour before the tour departs, but if you can register even earlier then do it, these tours can fill up fast.
When it is time to leave for your tour, you will all gather together prior to clearing immigration. The tour guides will help you pre-fill out your immigration card. Clearing immigration is a breeze and soon you will be boarding a bus for your city tour.
The tour will take you past all the main sights in the city; the Singapore flyer, the gardens by the Bay, the architecturally impressive Marina Bay Gardens, the esplanade, the colonial district, and of course Merilon park.
Most of the time you will be on the bus, listening to stories about this interesting city from the tour guide, but there will be a short opportunity to have a little explore. The bus stop near Merilon park, with it’s famous lucky half lion half fish fountain giving you a bit of time to stretch your legs and soak of the Singaporean atmosphere.
The free Singapore city tour is in no way exhaustive, but it certainly livens up a boring old airport transfer. If anything, the tour is a brilliant marketing tool. How many of us transit through Singapore regularly? And I dare say that most people who take this free tour will now seriously consider extending their next stop over to allow for a few days in this interesting and energetic city – I know we certainly are.
How to register:
To register for any of the tours, please approach the staff with your passport and boarding pass at the Free Singapore Tours (FST) Registration Booth located in:
- Terminal 2: Near the escalators to North Arrival Immigration and Skytrain station at Transit Mall North, Level 2 (Near Transfer Lounge E)
- Terminal 3: Next to Transfer Lounge B at Transit Mall North, level 2