Attending the ProBlogger conference this year on the Gold Coast, was just the kick in the pants I needed. I had let this blog fall into a slump. I had let personal issues sap my energy and motivation. The blog was stagnant. Not growing, but luckily not decreasing either.
Like many others, I left the ProBlogger Conference brimming with ideas. Ideas to make this blog better. And what better way to keep me accountable then to publicize the changes I want to make to my readers!
And of course, I want to also invite your suggestions….! What do you want to see changed about OurOyster? Do you agree with my list below? Let me know… because after all, this blog is for YOU.
I learned that it is very important to grow your newsletter. I have to admit, for the last few months I havn’t even sent out my newsletter… I was too caught up with family issues. So I plan to …
- Send out my newsletter at the end of every month FOR REAL
- Work on a give away in order to grow my subscriber list… I’m thinking “How to travel in Australia on the cheap – cheat sheet”, as so many travelers I have met complain about the high cost here
I learned that good blog design is worth every penny you spend on it. It was reiterated to me how important it is to have a responsive design. At the moment, I can’t afford to have my whole site custom designed, but I can….
- Look into different magazine themes that are responsive and which have a more intuitive layout
- Inquire into the rates of designers to see if I can stretch my budget far enough
- Completely re vamp my logo and tag line
- Streamline categories and tags
I learned that although my readers appreciate my budget guides and city guides, they also want to hear a bit from me. They want to get to know me and my personality…. so I will..
- Revamp my about page
- Make a start here page
- Add an about me widget to the sidebar
- Write more stories about my travel experiences, as well as continuing my destination guides and budget guides
I learned that social media is time consuming (well I already knew that), but that it is so so so important. So I will…
- Implement new facebook strategies so more of my posts appear in my fans timelines. (I have already started this 🙂 )
- Start using Google + more
- I might even start using Pinterest (grrr…. Pinterest… bain of my existence)
- I will try to make time for twitter chats when possible
- I will get my Google authorship working (finally)
I also learned that the most successful bloggers blog almost every day… well… let’s not get ahead of ourselves here…